Friday, April 17, 2009

Rabbit Stew, Num Num?

I tried my hand at Rabbit Stew today. It went well - I didn't get grossed out by the dark meat. I cut up some onions and tossed them in. I cried like a baby...stupid onions. In went the celery and the carrots. It smelled pretty delicious and if you didn't think too hard about what it actually was, then it could have been any kind of stew.

Luckily, the kids and I had been to the library this morning. They borrowed The Fox and the Hound and watched it this afternoon. They've been playing "foxes" for hours and so when it came time to serve up supper, I just told them it was fox food. Foxes eat rabbits, right? They fell for it!

On my end, I think the rabbit tasted just like roast beef. The flavour was pretty good, but after a couple bites I made the mistake of taking a closer look at the dish. Ugh, shouldn't have used flour to thicken the gravy. It had a sort of cloudy, congealed look to it...the only word that comes to mind is viscous. Like the inside of an eyeball.

And then, I bit down on a sliver of bone. And another. And again...by this time I was wondering how the poor rabbit died. Bludgeoned? If any of you know me well, grit does not go over well with me. My stomache revolted and my throat closed down. I'll try again some other time with a different recipe.

I've eaten all sorts of weird stuff (scorpion anyone? No? Mealworm? How 'bout placenta?). But, man, the viscousness of it all...

No comments: