Monday, April 20, 2009

Happy Earth Day!

In order to properly celebrate Earth Day (this Wednesday, the 22nd of April), I've decided that I'll be posting one green tip per day for the entire week. Normally, I'm not a "Go Green" type of person. I am conscious of what I do and don't do to help the environment, but I'm not to such an extreme that I'm making jewelry out of pop can tabs. I also can't stand when I look up green tips that are, in my opinion, so inconvenient that they are almost impossible to do with a cheerful countenance. And, I do like to have a cheerful countenance. You can tell because of all the smiley faces I use. :) See? :)

For example, I can't realistically replace all my windows to conserve heat. It's way too expensive, and plus, what would I do with my old windows? Put them in the dump? A semi-realistic goal is eating local. Since our area has a rather short growing season, I have to compromise and shop for non-local in order to keep my family healthy during the winter months. However, here's my first tip:

1) Keep a garden. If you have space, make it a big one. You can eat from it in the summer and freeze/can any leftovers. If you don't have much space, try using pots or hanging planters. Those will fit even on a balcony or windowsill. Not only is it organic (provided you use non-treated seeds and no chemicals), it's fresh and healthy! On the green side, it doesn't need to be transported so there are no fuels used or gases emitted from being trucked in from elsewhere.

Tip #2 coming tomorrow!

No comments: