Saturday, October 17, 2009

Amish Amies

When I was invited to visit with the Amish midwife, I wasn't sure what to expect. I very carefully picked out my outfit. I wanted to look proper and modest, but not too Amish. I didn't want them to think I was trying to hard, and I didn't want to look like someone I wasn't, either. What a dilemma! I finally settled on my favourite skirt (thankfully long and gray) and a turtleneck. Decent, but cute enough not to stand out at the store when I popped in for last minute supplies on the way home.

Then, I started thinking about what I was supposed to say and do. Was I supposed to have a list of questions? Should I be in job interview mode? Should I write down all my references and credentials so I don't forget them? What if I say something stupid like "crap" or get a memory blank (happens a lot....)?

Well, I shouldn't have worried. They were very very nice. The midwife was welcoming and she kept the conversation flowing. We spoke about birth, pregnancy, experience, learning opportunities, legal issues, peanut butter frosting and learning new languages. Her assistant was great, too. I don't think I messed up too badly, and I don't think I said "crap" once. :)

I met the pregnant mother that the midwife thought I could help. She seems sweet, very quiet. It will be a very different experience than hospital birth, but I'm sure that there's plenty we can teach each other!

It was a good day!

1 comment:

cuddles said...

Amish people fascinate me for some reason! But I don't think I'd dare have an actual conversation with one of them, let alone an interview... I'd end up saying something much worse than "crap"! :)

I'm happy to hear your meeting went well! It sounds like you're in for an interesting and educational experience!xx