Wednesday, June 17, 2009

African Birth Collective Update

I had my interview with the African Birth Collective (ABC for short, because it's crazy long to type!) yesterday. I guess it went well! It was less of an interview than a chat about what to expect from the trip, from them and from me. From what I understand, it's not a leisure trip! That's fine with me, I'm not looking for a vacation. I guess I'm looking for something that will bring perspective to my birthing/life philosophy, make an impression on me, grow me up, and wake up the senses. I think ABC will do that.

I haven't "officially" been accepted, since my references are still being checked out. However, now that things are getting a move on, I'm getting nervous! When I applied, I did my best to just forget it. I figured that it was best not to get my hopes up. Now that I've passed through the first 2 obstacles, the experience seems so much more real!

The cost of the trip is affordable in relation to other humanitarian trips (I estimate at about $5000 for 1 month), but a huge stumble in relation to our family finances. I've been saving up since I sent in the application, but there's still quite a ways to go.

So, any tips, ideas and/or encouragement will be accepted!

No comments: