Monday, August 8, 2011

Summer Reading

Summer is reading time for me.  So is winter, cozied with a blanket on the couch.  Spring, too, and fall.  Summer, though, bring to mind quilts on the lawn under the shade of the apple tree; lying on the deck swing with my latest novel; late evenings reading by the moonlight because we daren't turn on the porch light for fear of mosquitoes.  Yes, summer is a time for reading. 

I have to share what I've been reading lately.  I just finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time.  Fantastic.  Brilliant.  It's narrated by a fifteen-year-old autistic boy (at least, I think he's autistic.  It doesn't actually say so in the book, but if you put 2 and 2 together...).  The story is about how he finds a murdered dog and goes about the neighbourhood trying to find the culprit.  The fantastic part is that he writes the novel in the same style his mind works, which I must say, is absolutely astounding.  I laughed, I cried, it moved me, Bob (name that movie). 

Next, I've read a couple novels by Margaret Atwood.  How is it that in almost 3 decades of living, I haven't ever read Margaret Atwood?  She's Canadian for goodness' sake!  And, IMHO, a literary genius!  Granted, I've only read 2 of her books, but so far I love her.  I'm reading Alias Grace right now.  If you love historical fiction - or non-fiction, for that matter - give it a try.  The Robber Bride was great, too.

Phillippa Gregory is a hot name if you like history, too.  The Other Boleyn Girl, anyone? 

What are you reading lately? 

No comments: