Monday, August 10, 2009

Wise Maddie

I can't believe how quickly the kids are growing up. Eva, being only 3, still struggles with dressing herself when it comes to putting on and taking off shirts. She doesn't quite have the dexterity to manoeuver it over her head, find the collar with her head, and thread her arms through the sleeves. Last night, I stood in the doorway of their room and watched as Maddie picked out a shirt for Eva. She helped Eva put it over her head, gently instructing her on where to put her hands, and expertly guided her through it. I was so proud of my Maddie!

Mad and I took a walk out into the fields yesterday to pick Shepherd's Purse for a pregnant friend. We spoke of what A was going to do with the plant, and how it could be used to help Mommies if they bleed too much after the baby is born. After I'd shown her once how to identify the plant (by the little heart shaped seed pods and white flowers), Maddie ran off to pick clumps of it. She asked how it worked, and asked what else a midwife could do if there was too much bleeding. I demonstrated fundal pressure and uterine massage and we talked about a midwife's job. Maddie has such wise eyes...always thinking, and always learning.

I think I just might have a future midwife on my hands :)

No comments: