Monday, August 30, 2010

Back to School!

I'm trying to get everything organized for our Back to School. We loosely follow the public school schedule, although we don't have snow days or Parent/Teacher days or planning days. That means that we will be having our first day next Tuesday!

I have all the books ready, the pencils are sharpened, the craft supplies accounted for and random ideas are floating through my head. Only problem - getting those ideas down on paper! This is the first year that I'll be schooling 2 kids. I'm not quite sure how to coordinate the two of them and keep them on track and independantly working on separate subjects. Some things they'll do together, like science, french and reading aloud. Other things, like Math or reading lessons, they are at different levels. I have a feeling it's going to take quite a bit of juggling and trial and error to find a system that works.

In elementary school I attended a very tiny public school. There were only half a dozen kids per grade, so the classes were mixed - Grade 1 with Grade 2, Grade 3 with Grade 4, etc. I can't help but wonder how 1 teacher was able to handle all those kids doing different things all at once. Back in the one room schoolhouse days, they used the same system...but with even more of an age gap. And, yet, it worked! I'm sure we'll figure it out.

In the meantime, what are your suggestions for making the day flow? Any ideas that I can use to make our time productive, fun and kept on track?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

With the boys and homework, I often get Cylas to help carter learn new things...and while Cylas is teaching his brother, he also gets reinforcement of what he has already learned. Last year when Carter was learning to read, Cylas would read outloud to him...practicing his skills, while Carter absorbed the story. After, Cylas would write a journal entry on his own about the story, and Carter would draw a picture about it and label the drawing.

Emilie said...

That's a great idea! I love it :)

K said...

I've had a hard time with that, too. When I work with Abby in her workbook I let Gabby have computer time. Then we switch. Usually Starfall, that way they are learning and having fun. Sometimes Gabby will just draw pictures and then I get her to write words or sentences about it, too. Abby reads chapter books now so that keeps her busy for awhile. :)

Good luck!

Emilie said...

Don't you love Starfall?