Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Studying

I've recently gone "back to school" to become a Certified Women's Health Educator.  It's pretty intense, but I love what I'm studying so I don't really mind.  Last week's lesson was on nutrients.  I spent a good 15 hours on the lesson.  Considering that's on top of everything else, it has been somewhat tiring.

I never learned to study properly in high school, and therefore had a very difficult time in CEGEP.  I studied like a mad woman during my electrolysis course, and it paid off big time with a high nineties average.  I was living in Ontario for that, though, with Maddie and Richard in New Brunswick.  There were no distractions!  Maybe I should move out for the year?  Not a chance!

So, just for interest's sake, here's my plan of attack, study-style:

I read the information in the course book, taking notes all the while and highlighting important stuff.  This is difficult, because it's all important and I need to remind myself to use good judgement.  I then answer all the study questions on pen & paper by re-reading.  I review my notes, which usually involves yelling down the stairs, "Hey, Richard!  Did you know your liver can only process 266 mcg of folic acid per day and that any extra can be detrimental to your health and cause cancer?!"  I attend the tele-class, which is again mostly the same info.  I participate in the student forums and discuss points I may not have completely understood.  I then type up my study questions and further cement it in my mind.  Next comes the Applied Learning Project, which takes hours of research and honing.  Then, I happily turn the page and go on to the next lesson.

Lucky for me, SIL K (silk?) has been watching the younguns an afternoon per week, and Richard has promised me some free babysitting.  Schoolwork is so much more effective without the kids underfoot.

My intent is to hold workshops and mini-courses for women's health.  I'm also wanting to fashion a childbirth class that focuses on whole-being natural health.  There is nothing like that in our area, and it is sorely needed.

Wish me luck!

No comments: